Monday, May 21, 2012

Kale Quesadilla with Ann's Barn Raising Beans

The centerpiece of this dish are the beans. They are so delicious, but I didn't want to take a picture of a bowl of beans, so I made a quesadilla with them...YUM.


Ann's Barn-raising Beans


1 1/2 lb dried red beans (soaked overnight or for 6 hours or so)
1 large onion chopped
1/2 c cilantro
1 1/2 tbs chili powder
2 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp thyme
2 bay leaves
4 whole cloves or 1/2 tsp ground cloves
6 cloves of garlic minced
6 c veggie stock

Put soaked beans into crockpot with all the other ingredients, cook at whatever setting allows the mixture to simmer, the high setting on my crockpot works for me. When the beans are cooked (mine took 12 ish hours, but it depends on how long you pre-soak the beans, longer soaking time = shorter cooking time), remove the lid and let some of the liquid cook off. Turn off when the consistency thickens.

Proceed with quesadilla making...I like a little somethin' green in my quesadilla...kale from the garden needed to get eaten so that ended up being my leafy green of choice. 

The key to a good quesadilla is a hot cast iron skillet, butter instead of oil, salt and good cheese. I assume you all know how to make one, so I won't elaborate, but be sure to include a good serving of these beans in there, you won't be disappointed. They would be awesome on nachos as well...


No comments:

Post a Comment