Thursday, June 12, 2014

Challenge accepted. (No sweating required...)

Recently I read an article about ginger beer and ginger ale cocktails at Saveur Magazine. They all looked delicious and I thought it would be fun to try a new one each week this summer. 

Join me!





We made the Pear Haymaker last weekend, and it was a hit. Here's what you'll need:

pears - the riper the better
vodka - we used Absolute Pear Vodka. YUM.
ginger simple syrup (see below)
fresh lemon juice
ginger ale

It's a pretty simple drink, and it goes something like this:** 

Muddle half a very ripe pear into a pint glass. (the link to the muddle video is well worth the watch, and quite entertaining - who knew muddling was such an art!)

Add 
2 oz vodka
1/2 oz ginger syrup
1/2 oz lemon juice

Fill the glass with ice and top with a swirl of ginger ale. 

***I 'eyeballed' all the measurements, by the way, but I'm including the amounts from the recipe so you can make it just right!)

Ginger syrup
Grate a bunch of ginger into a saucepan, (a bunch = approx. 1/2 c)
Add 1 c sugar and 1 1/2 c water. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let cool. Strain. This will keep in the fridge for at least a couple weeks. (I use it to make ginger lemonade, inspired by Santa Cruz Lemon Ginger Echinacea juice)






1 comment:

  1. I was there and enjoyed this imbibing experience... I would suggest generosity in the ginger syrup... its the point! My favorites were the ones to which I added a little extra ginger syrup...

    ReplyDelete