Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Guest Post: White Bean Soup with Cheddar & Chive Biscuits!



It was cold when I got back to Logan after spending the holidays in the Northeast. Like, negative double digits cold. When it’s that cold out, there’s only one thing to do: make soup. Still reeling a bit from all the holiday eating – particularly lots of regional microbrews and an epic five course dinner on New Years Eve – I was in the mood for a soup that was on the lighter side but wouldn’t leave me hungry a couple hours after eating. I found some inspiration in my 500 Soups cookbook, and headed out to the grocery store. While at the store I saw that cast iron Dutch ovens were on sale for almost 40% off. I’d wanted one for a while, so I quickly grabbed a box and put it in the cart. It was a sign: I was meant to make soup tonight.

Now, I’m not going to lie: even though it was cold, my real motivation for making soup traveled over 2,000 miles to get here. Tucked in my suitcase were some very special souvenirs from a quick visit to Burlington, Vermont: two 2-pound blocks of Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar cheese. Best. Cheese. Ever. It even wears Lumberjack plaid!


This really is, in my humble opinion, the best cheddar cheese out there. I miss having it in my life since moving away from the Northeast. So before heading out of town, I stopped at the City Market Co-op in Burlington (another thing I miss from VT). The cheese was all I bought. The cashier made a comment about it being a lot of cheese, but understood after I explained that I now live in Utah and can’t get this variety out there. So now, at least until this 4 pounds runs out, this wonderful, crumbly, sharp cheddar is back in my life.

All the way back to Logan all I could think of was incorporating this cheese into a batch of hot, flaky biscuits. So really, I didn’t make the biscuits to go with the soup: I made the soup to go with the biscuits. It was fun playing in the kitchen after a couple weeks away, and the soup and biscuits made the perfect dinner for this cold, snowy evening. The soup is simple but flavorful, and filling without being heavy. And the biscuits? Tender, flaky,  cheesy, and just the right bit of salty. I may never make a plain biscuit again.

White Bean Soup
2 14-oz cans Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
4 cups chicken stock (substitute vegetable stock for vegetarian/vegan version)
1 14-oz can diced tomatoes
1 large onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
4 carrots, chopped
1 Tbsp tomato paste
1/3 cup plus 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, separated
2 tsp dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste
3 Tbsp fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
8 oz smoked turkey sausage, sliced (can substitute kielbasa, salami, or other smoked sausage, or omit for vegetarian version)

In 6-quart Dutch oven or large pot, heat 2 Tbsp olive oil on medium heat. Add onion and stir. Cook until onions begin to turn translucent, about 2 minutes. 


Add beans, chicken stock, tomatoes (with liquid), celery, carrots, tomato paste, 1/3 cup olive oil, oregano, and sausage to pot. Add ground pepper and salt to taste. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer about 45 minutes. Garnish with chopped parsley. Serves 6-8.











3 comments:


  1. Many thanks for the amazing essay I really gained a lot of info. That I was searching for

    ReplyDelete

  2. Many thanks for the amazing essay I really gained a lot of info. That I was searching for

    ReplyDelete

  3. Many thanks for the amazing essay I really gained a lot of info. That I was searching for

    ReplyDelete