Tuesday, October 16, 2012

(fall is here) scones

I admit...I've been a little grumpy as I roll out of bed in the morning and hurl myself into the gym. But knowing that one of these is waiting for me during my 10 AM coffee break somehow makes this transition into Fall a little less painful. So bring it on mother nature. I'm ready....




(fall is here) scones. adapted from this site

1/2 c whole wheat flour
1 1/2 c white flour
1 T b powder
1/2 tsp b soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 rounded tsp cinnamon
7 T cold butter
3 T buttermilk
1 egg
1/2 c (rounded) cooked squash, any kind...I used butternut
7 T sugar
1 tsp molasses
2 T chopped crystallized ginger

preheat oven to 425. combine cold butter and dry ingredients in bowl, with a pastry cutter mix the butter in until there are big crumbs. 

combine the buttermilk, egg, squash, sugar, and molasses in bowl until smooth, I used my immersion blender, but you might want to use your egg beater if you don't have one. add this to the dry ingredients. mix JUST until combined, stir in crystallized ginger. 

dump mixture onto a floured counter, press into a disc, approx. 8-10 inch round. using a floured knife, cut into 8 triangles.

place on cookie sheet, bake 12-15 minutes

glaze:
1 package soft cream cheese
1/2 tsp cinnamon
splash of orange, apple or lemon juice
powdered sugar to taste

combine all ingredients in bowl, beat, frost cooled scones

enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment